So, hey, your humble hosts are back for another fun-filled romp through Toei and Muto Shogo’s Kamen Rider Build!
And by “fun-filled romp”, we of course mean that Build continues to be an incredibly well-realized series the likes of which haven’t been seen in quite some time in media generally, but which also is pretty consistently working to break our hearts.
So, really, “fun-filled romp” was just misleading in the extreme. I really should edit that out instead of leaving this examination of how the words I say aren’t the things I mean.
But I clearly haven’t.
So, this week, Aleph and Sono take this happy fun-time show for kids and get into:
- Problematizing simple dualistic narratives of “good” and “evil”
- How for all we feel some kinda ways about how heavy the show is, we still appreciate that the people making Build are very interested in not messing about with the ideas they bring up
- Sawa: saves the day A LOT; still not in the opening
- A monkey’s paw wish
- Comparisons to moments in both Gaim and Drive (spoiler: they aren’t good for those two series)
- Comparisons are also made to moments in Kuuga (spoiler: Build comes out pretty good)
- Y’all, this cast is good
- Special shout-outs to director Kamuhorichi Kazuya, as well
- The power of language to shape when, how, and to whom we do violence
- How it’s a massive (and understandable) dick move to ask someone to explode you without being honest at all times about what you are doing
- Never trust a war profiteer. Ever. Fictional or real. They are not likely to do good things.
- Oh, yeah, and how Our Hero is directly responsible for a man’s death
All this and more on this particularly-thinky episode of the UnKamenCast RX!
|Right-click “Save As” to download|Episode Length 1:35:47|
Join us as we experiment with Kamen Rider Build! Can Sento, Ryuuga, and their friends Smash the smash and tear down the skywall? Find out how we think they’re doing as we share our thoughts on:
Kamen Rider Build
Episode 21 – The Unstoppable Hazard
Episode 22 – Tearful Victory
Episode Writer: Muto Shougo
Episode Director: Kamuhorichi Kazuya
Hit up the hosts for Rider, Sentai, and general tokusatsu talk.
You can reach us individually at: