Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger 38 – The Wings Take Flight & 39 – Calories & A Necklace
If the above player isn’t working, you can go ahead and open up the “Save As…” link below.
|Save As… to Download|Episode Length 1:22:56
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks – 38/39
- A little bit of nitpicking on my part, but Bard being ZyuohBird, but still being fully eagle-motifed feels a little lazy? Give him some other bird powers too.
- I guess that’s all I’ve got? I was pretty into this episode.
- This whole plot was bad. Who wanted this? Who looked at this and said “Yeah okay this is a good idea”?
- The monster of the week is food themed. Why was this not an Amu episode? Also Amu being aware that Rei was manipulating her and manipulating him BACK would have at least been easier to watch and a better use of that bad habit of Amu’s, instead of just watching this guy manipulate Sela with zero consequences.
- Like those horse masks. They never stop being high-larious in a way that almost takes me out of things. Couldn’t even try to make a nonsense thing where you articulate their mouths?
- And, okay, I get weirded out at the idea that Yamato just straight-up got Bard’s techniques on top of his powers. It’s a nitpick, but nitpicks are all I got ‘cuz at this point in the series, they don’t have time to do a lot with any of the interesting stuff they’ve got bubbling away.
- Look, I’m just glad that even though we opened with the food monster making everyone fat (with the implication of that being just disgusting, which I really appreciate, let me tell you) and the horror of the episode doesn’t end up being “O NOES WHAT IF FAT?!”
- Why does Misao have the “no romance” headband and is written as all upset that she’s going out with an adult when she’s at least coded as being in her 20s? Is… is it some kind of “boy detective” sort of thing where he wishes he was 12 or something? I don’t get it.
- And while I’m kicking this episode while it’s down? I’m mad that the show has stopped giving us Misao having fights with his Herman’s Head animals.
Tide Turners – Some Enjoyable bits from this stretch of Zyuohger – 38/39
- They have square bread in Zyuland this was all worth it.
- I really like Bard. His whole story is really interesting and compelling, and he’s caught in this weird moral place. I wish this rift between Zyuland and the human world was a bigger part of this plot, because there’s so much ground to tread here that I don’t think we can in just 10 more episodes, especially with this Deathgalien plot to wrap up.
- I guess watching Kubar figure out the mechanics of the HAND HE STOLE was kind of neat?
- Amu taking the necklace and bailing was pretty good. Again, I wish this episode had been about her, and Rei pursuing her to manipulate her, and Amu just getting food and presents out of it and bailing because she’s onto his game and knows better.
- I like the little remix of the ending theme they used during the date. It was cute even if I hated having to watch things happening during it.
- As an aside: evil old Big Brother turtle. A better-paced show would have had this episode be the bit where we confront him and he gives his “for the good of the foolish masses”/”humans are evil” speech about how he was only doing what was best for Zyuland.
- Oh, hey, right: we actually touched on the HORROR THAT IS MISAO’S ORIGIN, maybe we can stop treating him so bad and at least pretend to understand that for all it’s difficult dealing with someone with those kinds of anxiety issues, a little more understanding might be in order? (I watched the next episode: that’s not going to happen)
- Also, I still really love the ZyuohBird suit.
- Rei is a really attractive dude, so I guess that probably counts for something? Not in the habit of the whole “let’s ogle the pretty people” but there it is.
- That shot where Sela turns around and is all shadows and glowy red eyes? That was cool.
- The shot where Cube Whale can’t quite fit through the square hoop is always pleasant in general, even if it felt a little weird in an episode where we open with being fat as a horror.
Quick Reflexes – Questions left by this bit of Zyuohger
I’ve been catching up on Zyuohger recently and in Episode 38 something Bard said caught my eye.
Near the end of the episode Bard says that Yamato “sounds more and more like him” in regards to his belief that all living things are connected. I assumed the ‘him’ Bard was referring to was the human who wandered into Zyuland and fell off the cliff. What if that dude is Yamato’s dad? I mean we know what happened to Yamato’s mom, but we still don’t know much if anything about where his dad is. I ended up going back to episode 24 to rewatch the scene at the family grave and there’s no indication anywhere about whether Yamato’s dad is alive or not, but we know that someone left flowers while Mario and Yamato were away.
If Yamato’s dad is dead, I figure Bard could have left them because maybe Yamato’s dad wandered into Zyuland and that’s why he’s protective of Yamato. He could feel it’s his duty to look after him since he couldn’t save his dad. Alternatively, Yamato’s dad could be the one who left the flowers. This seems less likely to me since we don’t have time to explore the reasons why Yamato’s dad could be alive but not around, but I still wanted to mention it in case there’s something we know about Yamato’s dad I missed.
I wanted to know if this is something that had crossed your minds as well and what you think about this idea.
Episode Writer: Komura Junko (38) & Tanaka Jin (39)
Episode Director: Shibasaki Takayuki (38) & Sugihara Teruiaki (39)
Uncomfortable Stereotyping ABOUNDS!
Kubar is being interesting
Kubar’s plan is weird and a bit lazy
Down with the
Why not, Misao?
NEXT WEEK —EPISODE 40 – A Man’s Values
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually