Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger: Episode 35 – The Zyuohger’s Final Day
If the above player isn’t working, you can go ahead and open up the “Save As…” link below.
|Save As… to Download|Episode Length 0:52:42
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- I’m a little bothered that no one told Mario that his nephew, his sister’s son who he has taken in, was kidnapped by Space Ahab and might possibly be dead. Like look, this is well past the time to keep up the ruse. Let the poor man know what’s going on.
- Was it really necessary to pace this show so that the commercial break is right when Bunglay hits the team with a space laser and Yamato is screaming because they’re dead? Look, I get dramatic tension but this show is aimed at eight-year-olds and that’s a little intense for them.
- DoDeka King is so bad. Why is it so bad? It has no feet and the legs just connect to the chest. There’s no like… lower torso at all. And then in the finisher the legs just GET MORE CUBES? Why? Who thought this was a good idea?
- Yeah, no. I mean, I thought it was bad in the previews and magazine scans but WOW. Wow-wow-wowee-wow is that thing awful. I will give the small caveat that there’s clearly some wizardry happening on the costume, but still: hodang.
- Looking at it, though, I can’t help shaking the feeling that they’d planned to have the circus theme from the movie be something that stuck around for the whole series, even if no circus ever would have a shark (unless they planned to jump it).
- It’s a small, stupid thing, but I’m actually kinda mad that Bunglay’s ship didn’t transform. It seemed so obvious that it was gonna, given its shape. Is it not really blown up? Is it gonna be Kubar’s now?
Tide Turners – Some Enjoyable bits from this stretch of Zyuohger
- I appreciate Misao sort of cutting to the chase like “We were gonna go without him, and he was gonna go with out us. How about we skip the drama and just all go and do this because if we don’t hurry up our leader is going to DIE.”
- I also super appreciate Misao trying to pretend he doesn’t have a henshin device when Bunglay tells them to drop the cubes. “Well I don’t have one of THOSE so clearly mine doesn’t count.” You tried, kid, you tried.
- There’s some level where I appreciate Amu being the one to bring Cube Whale. I don’t like that it means she’s the one Bunglay literally punches off of a cliff, but everyone went in pretty much expecting Bunglay to pull some kind of trick, and if he pulled one at close quarters, Amu would be the one with the reflexes and adaptability to handle it.
- Yeah, after all the stuff where it got downright uncomfortable with how they were treating the kid, it’s nice to see them give him an opportunity to step up and be a real chill guy. Even Leo managed not to be a total d-bag about it all.
- If only her pulling a cat trick had been part of the plan, y’know? Just clap right in front of all six of his eyes, do a backflip-kick and just land on her feet at the bottom of the hill.
- Seriously, that moment where you can tell he’s in a fugue state? That stuff was CHOICE. Really brings home how friggin’ vicious Bunglay is and how deeply Yamato needs to feel connected to people. I really, REALLY adored it.
Quick Reflexes – Questions left by this bit of Zyuohger
Instead of our normal reflexes, we’re going to lighten things up after this really intense episode and talk about Super Dobutsu Taisen because it’s there and it was fun.
Get it HERE thanks to TV-N’s completionist bent.
Episode Writer: Komura Junko
Episode Director: Katou Hiroyuki
Dethgalien Team and Player featured: Bunglay is still the focus, but Kubar makes a good showing.
Our Red sure is Red this year. Yamato doesn’t want this, Zyuohger Creatives. At least his character writing contradicts all the situations and gear they hand him.
Some joke about Pet Cemetary
You got your Rider Kick in my Super Sentai!
Bunglay is sick. What a dream to have. Bad Guy is bad. Go figure. That new mech is bad though, too.
I just love how Misao reacts to his almost good idea failing.
NEXT WEEK —EPISODE 36 – The Prince of Halloween
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually