Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger: Episode 33 – Cat Tricks and Gratitude
If the above player isn’t working, you can go ahead and open up the “Save As…” link below.
|Save As… to Download|Episode Length 1:09:56
They were a bunch of links thrown about in the episode. Check them out, if you please.
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- This is my only complaint about this episode, but it’s kind of a big one especially after the things I learned looking up women and sumo, and it’s part of what I’d been concerned about from the preview; The whole bit with Amu flirting with Sumotron to distract him so she could win. My problem, more than anything, is with the way she’s touching him. It really made my skin crawl. You could do the whole scene the same way and just have Amu walking around him, not touching him at all, and it makes the whole thing less skeevy. If you do it that way, it’s Sumotron projecting an idea onto Amu’s actions, which would be inherently non-sexual, and Amu taking advantage of it which feels more true to Amu’s nature, instead of her instigating it and using the same skeevy trope to bring down her opponent. It’s really a shame that this writer, who can make Leo of all people palatable, is resorting to this for Amu. (Though would I blame the writer or the director for this? I guess I’d have to see the script and see what the writer called for to see who’s to blame.)
- Yeeeeeah, the skeevitude is strong there. I don’t know who to blame, either, but for all I’m all about Amu using every scrap of an advantage she can find to defeat a much, much larger opponent, playing into the idea that dudes should just lose their friggin’ minds around a pretty girl and just give up everything to get all handsy on ‘em is… I mean, can we just stop? I don’t know who to blame, but it’s just awful. I swear to poop, I haven’t remembered this whole “pretty girl beats bad guy by cozying up to him and the slapping him down in the middle because women are manipulative and men are dumb, which is not insulting at all to everyone involved” being a thing in any of the Sentai I’ve watched and I want it to go back to Hell where it belongs.
Tide Turners – Some Enjoyable bits from this stretch of Zyuohger
- Amu’s covering her eyes for half a second over the sumo buddies being nearly naked, but then being so curious about what they’re doing that she doesn’t care
- Amu and Leo misunderstanding what “Cat Trick” meant and being kind of offended by the idea of people trying to trick cats was adorable. They’re so proud of who they are and want to defend their genus.
- Giving Misao this little backstory with how he got embarrassed at a Sumo meet was nice building on the story the show has given him about trying to become athletic to make friends, and it felt like a natural way to distract them so Sumotron could win.
- I mean, look, at least Amu did win and the show was basically “No, look you guys, she 100% beat him and this was all inside the rules, so you can’t say she didn’t win. I may not be crazy about the way it was done in the show, but they did just say that a girl can totally win at Sumo. Again, like, don’t love how they did it, but they definitely said it could be did.
- I really enjoy the “fish out of water” stuff they do with Zyuohger generally, I have to say. Taking something like a national sport and just having someone show up to say “Oh, dang! What even IS this?” and then taking part is always a hoot.
- The whole ‘cat trick’ idea was really great generally.
Quick Reflexes – Questions left by this bit of Zyuohger
Shimoyama, who has covered the past two episodes, writes Leo very differently than our lead writer Komura. In this episode specifically, Leo emphasises fighting fairly, head-on, with all of one’s strength. This is directly contradicts the core of Leo’s conflict with Sela; Namely that he held back and let her win in a fight out of a misguided sense of “chivalry”. What do we think Shimoyama is up to? How could this affect Leo going forward?
Episode Writer: Shimoyama Kenta
Episode Director: Shibasaki Takayuki
Dethgalien Team and Player featured: Both side of Team Azald’s Sumotron
Amu getting in the Sumo ring is kinda a big deal as discussed in the episode.
Amu is one practical cat. She isn’t to proud to win by any means necessary.
NEXT WEEK —EPISODE 34 – The Mega-Beast Hunter Strikes Back
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually