Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger: Episode 32 – The Dark Side Of The Soul
If the above player isn’t working, you can go ahead and open up the “Save As…” link below.
|Save As… to Download|Episode Length 0:49:44
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- Tusk is telling Amu to cook her own pancakes, but there’s only 4 griddles on the table, and you’re clearly not making any, Tusk. Also if Sela wants a giant pancake that’s her business. Get your own pancakes and chill out.
- They’re discussing the monster right in front of Mario. If we’re still supposed to assume that Mario doesn’t know what’s going on, why is he not questioning WHO is going to be attacking this summit and how these kids know about it? Why is he not calling the police?
- Some of the cartoon effects on when everyone was yelling at Misao when they were all reversed were just a little too much for me. It feeds into that whole thing of the show making a joke of Misao’s mental illness. The sentiment is good but the execution is flawed.
- I think that’s a lot of it. Or that it’s a sign that humans, too, can be really frustrating people and seeing someone else be frustrating to others makes him feel more at home or gives him a point of connection that is unique between them?
- Just die in a fire already, Genis. So friggin’ BORED with this guy. Can Kubar just kill him already? I don’t care that he knows the dude’s comin’, I wanna see that fight. Win or lose, at least it’ll give me some kinda way to feel about Genis besides vague frustration that this awesome design won’t just get to the friggin’ point.
Tide Turners – Some Enjoyable bits from this stretch of Zyuohger
- Yo who wants to come to my house and have a pancake party? That looks like a ton of fun. Is this a thing people actually do? I want in.
- I can’t tell if Leo was unaffected by the reverse, or if the reverse just made him a nicer dude. It’s one or the other, but either way that speaks volumes about Leo.
- Amu, Sela, and Yamato had some really interesting things to say about each other though, especially for this being the writer’s first episode on this show. We all knew Amu is kind of shady but she’s called out on how much distance she keeps from Misao. Yamato is a hypocrite and Sela has a persecution complex. These are all really interesting facets of their characters to bring up that have gone kind of ignored up until now. I hope these are things the show will actually address in the future, even if, again, it’s getting a little late.
- Yeah, I didn’t see that, either. I just really appreciate how it’s played almost 100% like it’s a romantic thing. That’s amazing and I’m glad for some playing at subtext.
- Spinning out of that, I really appreciated that there was an explicit callback made to the power of the friendship between two awkward guys. And that they actually went out of their way to explain how the things that make each of them awkward were unique. They were two precious frustrating snowflakes.
- Seriously, I really dig on the episode just going in and mapping out how relationships work and why certain behaviors are cool in certain contexts but not in others. Good on you, Zyuohger.
Quick Reflexes – Questions left by this bit of Zyuohger
Misao powers himself up to stand against Flipsider by enduring his friends barbs and then insists that they all be straightforward with him at Uncle Mario’s at the end.
How do you take to the concept of Misao embracing the discomfort and pain of hearing those truths to grow stronger?
How do you feel about that being the message, ethic or admonition conveyed? Did the show responsibly put forth the message that this is a good way to help someone grow?
Episode Writer: Shimoyama Kenta
Episode Director: Shibasaki Takayuki
Dethgalien Team and Player featured: Both side of Team Kubar’s Flipsider
We NEED Reversi Leo for the rest of the show
NEXT WEEK —EPISODE 33 – Cat Tricks and Gratitude
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually