Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Episode 27 – Which One Is Real?
|Save As… to Download|Episode Length 0:28:40
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- I don’t dislike the scene we start with of Bunglay having straight up murdered an entire restaurant, because man these repeated reminders of how intense and brutal this guy is are pretty cool at least up against how dull the Deathgalien have been, but I feel like it would have been better served in a different episode that wasn’t 90% a joke game show and clips from other episodes. I think they could have skipped it and started with Sela and Tusk just being attacked.
- Same with that scene of Azald and Kubar, honestly. I mean I guess it’s to remind us that something is going on over there too, but save it for when you can do something with it.
- I’m a little sad that Misao’s reaction to an extra Tusk and Sela wasn’t “OH MY GOD NOW I HAVE EVEN MORE FRIENDS”.
- Leo continues to be a jerk to Misao
- This is a clip show
- Yeah. The clip show thing really takes a lot of wind out of the sails. It’s a well-done clip show, but still: clip show.
Tide Turners – Some Enjoyable bits from this stretch of Zyuohger
- Tusk being excited about sales on groceries and saving a dollar was cuter than I’d like to admit. I’d love to see more of Tusk just enjoying day to day life. He’s a sweet kid.
- That little spin of Tusk sword around Sela’s as he moves behind her while they’re fighting Bunglay was REALLY cool.
- Amu’s calling Sela with “-chan” now. Has she always been doing that? The two of them are super focused on each other in this episode though… Just puttin’ that out there.
- They actually did a really nice job splicing the doubles into the shots when both sets were in human form. It never looked awkward or weirdly cut even when they were close to each other.
- The plan of “The copies will remember insignificant stuff more clearly because they’re made of memories, so let’s ask stuff normal people wouldn’t remember” was actually pretty clever. Even though I figured it out halfway through, I really wasn’t sure if I was right. Seeing it pay off that way was really neat, and now knowing Arakawa was the writer, I’m not surprised it was something that clever. Dude’s a good writer.
- Misao being so happy that Tusk and Sela remembered that he had a parfait was cute. This poor kid just wants to be loved.
- Sela crying is too much for me. Either Sela crying is too much for me. This poor woman. Please give her a hug and a snack. Faux-Sela’s “I wish I could have been the real one.” totally destroyed me.
- Boozehound bunghole was a fun surprise. This show is so dark and edgy because Bunglay was guzzling wine. I’m definitely going to share this with my friends before we watch the dark and edgy, Super Anti-Hero indie film Captain Bonesaw tonight!
- Tusk and Sela’s fight with bunglay at the beginning had that really cool sword trick. I liked it a lot.
- The turn on Memory Sela and Memory Tusk being exposed as fakes by winning was cool. I wondered if the better quiz takers would turn out to be the fakes after all, but I bet it really surprised kids watching who may have gotten caught up in the idea that winning is good and proves who is right.
- Okay, for all I can’t fight Sono on the tonal whiplash? As a moment of “Oh, right, here are the important players”, Bunglay’s opening was great and his plan was delightfully eeeeeeevil. Trying to make folks kill the copies of their friends? That is NASTY.
- I sometimes forget how much I love the Zyulander suits but hot dang do I love those suits.
- I’ll join the chorus of people who dug on the thing where winning doesn’t mean you’re right and that it’s a fun little spin on what could’ve been a pretty trite sort of thing.
- Also shows that our boy Yamato’s got some outside-the-box thinking going on, and I really enjoy that.
- Finally, I just dug on the memory-clones going from being kinda smug and just this side of awful to remembering that they’re the good guys and just giving up the ghost. It was really sweet.
Quick Reflexes – Questions left by this bit of Zyuohger
Not for a clip show.
Episode Writer: Arakawa Naruhisa
Episode Director: Teruaki Sugihara
Dethgalien Team and Player featured: /
Not this time.
NEXT WEEK — EPISODE 28: The Return of the Space Pirates
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually