Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Episode 18 – The Scars of Terror!
Save As… to Download |Episode Length 0:47:58
Before we start Sono is going to give credit where it is due:
Episode 18 – The Scars of Terror!
Episode Writer: Komura Junko
Episode Director: Nakazawa Shoujiro
Nothing to add here.
Zyuohger 18’s Monster of the Week: Trumpus from Team Kubard… still.
Animal Instincts – Overall Thoughts about the episode & it’s message
Overall I thought this episode was pretty good, and they seem to be going for a sort of “Don’t let fear get the better of you.” sort of lesson. But more than that, they seem to be encouraging talking about your fears. Because confronting it together doesn’t make it “not scary”, but it makes it a lot easier to handle.
Leo and Sela both openly deny it because they’re the “tough” ones, while Tusk and Amu mostly stay quiet about it, and that leads to everyone dealing with their fears alone, but when Yamato finally calls everyone out and they admit to being afraid together, they all immediately become less scared and come up with a plan. They know The World is still ridiculously dangerous, but it’s still five against one and it’s going to be for as long as they face him. And I think that’s a really healthy thing to present to kids.
The strongest bit of this episode really is the embracing of fear attitude that Yamato has and I love it for that. I’ll go on later about how much I liked that, but this episode was a glorious fusion of a simple strong message and a lot of fun.
Yeah, and I really dig on the idea that we’re introducing The Other (aka: the one who is like me, but not) last ep, overcoming our fear of The Other in this one and, implicitly, coming to understand that The Other is just someone for whom life has been different and that our understanding and potential friendship will do more than any amount of screaming and giant robot punches ever could.
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- Someone please feed The World. This boy is too skinny I can see his bones. Please give him food or give him to me so I can feed him. I am concerned. This kid looks malnourished.
- So after that first fight we just LEFT THAT GIRL IN THAT CARD BOX? She was in there for a couple of hours with no air. I know we saw her at the end but how did she survive that?! Give HER a Champion Symbol. Dang.
- The World’s robot is less ugly than his suit but it’s still not great. I do like Rhino as a tractor trailer carrying Wolf and Crocodile though. I think that’s pretty neat.
- Leo’s astonishment at The World’s Cube Animals combining was irritating because he’s been doing this for a while now
- The Yamato-less Wild Zyuoh King seems like a stretch to me. How did they do that? Isn’t it in his cube?
- Well, they can run the other mech with just two of ‘em, so… I dunno, it’s not that much of a stretch for me, anyway.
- But I guess my biggest beef is really the tonal whiplash between skinny mcgee there screaming and it’s all angsty because his life has been stolen and he’s been drafted into a war he doesn’t want anything to do with and then LET’S LET’S DANCE. Guys, c’mon.
Tide Turners – Stuff you enjoyed.
- Mario is adorable. He is a good dad to these kids and he just wants them to be happy. I love how he’s perfectly willing to wrestle and play with Leo all the time because that’s how Leo is.
- I do really like the scene with Leo and Sela (and the whole team really, but those two were the most vocal) trying to deny how scared they were and Yamato calling them out on it. Everyone laughing together about how scared they were and helping each other through it was really sweet.
- All of the choreography and direction on The World’s fights are really spectacular. It makes it a lot easier to deal with his terrible suit when he’s moving round a lot.
- Naria being involved with handling Zyuoh The World is awesome, especially because it puts her in play a bit and lets her be nasty towards the Zyuohgers who she clearly hates and wants to destroy
- Cube Crocodile and Cube WOLF-O are going on my wishlist because they just look so cool! They are collectible enough that I would buy them in a set with Rhino who hasn’t quite caught my attention.
- Tusk pointing out the Zyuoh The World won’t even let Wild Zyuoh King tee up an attack is cool.
- +1 the fear talk. Love that bit
- Just gonna say that I am in love with that robot. It’s got this chunky industrial feel that is basically perfect for me. And having him control it like it’s a big rig? Glorious.
- And, honestly, I like an episode where the good guys lose here and there. And it’s a relatively long-term and standing loss, even, insofar as it’s not two parts of the same fight where they look like they’re in trouble but no not really.
Evolutions – What do you think this show has in store for the future?
- Okay well my worries about them dragging out The World in an AbareKiller-esque fashion seem to be a non-issue if next episode we’re already getting “But you don’t really want to fight.” That shot of him and Genis tho… Uh… Let’s… Let’s not. Please save this child immediately. Bring him to Mario so Mario can feed him.
- Still waiting on the main team to get second animals. The hinges in their helmets, Amu especially, was really noticeable this episode for some reason. Maybe The World can help all of them unlock that?
- Figure that’s gonna be how they beat him. They ALL sorta become The World? I guess? Maybe? Take the card back from him or sommat?
- I mean, they put the 7 8 9 on the evil robot so I keep thinking it’s deffo gonna combine with theirs at some point. I’m looking forward to it.
Quick Reflexes – Questions in reaction to this bit of Zyuohger.
- Are you satisfied with the “powers going out of control” stopping Zyuoh The World from killing Yamato?
- Would you have preferred that bird-dad-Kusaka had stopped Zyuoh The World from killing Yamato?
- With all the talk of boredom from Zyuoh The World as well as him saying things like “game over” and “make the game interesting” do you think it is possible that Genis has tricked The World into thinking that this IS a game of some sort?
NEXT WEEK — EPISODE 19: Who To Believe In!
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually