In this Moon Speak, Sono and Ammit discuss of Act.34 which is Sailor Moon Crystal 35. This episode features Kalonite’s Tau form, exploration of Rei’s sexuality and Mamoru being a boss… passively.
Save As… to Download |Episode length: 0:37:07
Here at the TOH Network, we like to acknowledge the people who work on all the shows we discuss and offer thanks for their effort as we critique the finished product.
Nothing new for this week.
Monster of the Week (Basically)
Magus Kalonite needs to get her hands dirty and enlists her fallen subjects.
Mistress 9 takes over for Magus Kalonite.
Was there anything that rubbed you the wrong way?
- I thought all the stuff about Chibi-Usa’s soul and body was really confusing in that first scene in the hospital.
- HOW did they get approval to take Chibi-Usa from the hospital?!
- I wanted maybe a little more build-up to the Outers coming around. I get that they really DO want to fight alongside Usagi but feel duty bound to y’know save the Universe.
- I was a bit surprised and put off by Magus Kalonite’s Tau form, mostly because it seemed fairly different from Tellu’s
- On the Outers coming around: Seconding this a bit, because it was pretty sudden, and there was no real hesitation or moment of “Look if you died that would screw up our mission” pretending not to have been in the rescue emotionally once they got inside.
- I feel like when the Outer’s DID save everyone, it was a little too focused on Haruka? I mean I know she’s been at the center of this emotional arc with Usagi but i feel like Usagi only really acknowledging Haruka felt a little weird. Though I did like Setsuna and Michiru interacting with the other girls a lot, but I feel like that moment and interaction was more telling of the change of heart than the interaction between Usagi and Haruka.
What were some lovely things you found especially catching?
- Mamoru and Usagi’s relationship was SO on point here. I love seeing two people happily in love and even struggling TOGETHER.
- Trapped Hotaru messing with Mistress 9 was delightful
- Seeing Kalonite working magic in a magic circle was really cool. It’s nice to see the range from instant magic to a more drawn out service or ceremony to accomplish something, especially because this was her most powerful spell.
- Mistress 9’s changes to the Mugen Academy building with all the vines and roses is supper cool, it gives things a very different look.
- That new ED is all kinds of hotness. I’m finally starting to see that Mamoru is this embodiment of quiet strength and it really is something aspirational to me.
Seconding Mamoru and Usagi. I really loved the scene in Mamoru’s apartment and how he was willing to do what he had to in order to support Usagi through easily the most difficult thing she’s ever had to face.
On Hotaru’s ‘tude: Oh god seconding the heck out of this. It was hilarious. Hotaru may be trapped but that has only increased her snark.
- I really love that even though she knows she has to save Chibiusa, Usagi still isn’t willing to sacrifice anyone else. She just can’t fathom the idea and it’s so beautifully Usagi. And on top of that, Mamoru never tries to push her toward killing Hotaru. All he encourages her to do is save their daughter, by whatever means she decides are the best.
- The sheer volume of “NOPE” going on with our guardians. Everyone is at wit’s end and has no time for the enemy’s shenanigans. Particularly what got me was Pluto at the hospital, and Usagi just absolutely not having it with Kaolinite’s illusions of everyone she loves betraying her. It startled her for a minute, because Usagi doesn’t know she’s in an illusion, but the instant she recognizes that no one she cares for would ever act this way, she’s just breaking it down and moving on. Usagi has gotten strong.
- The little moment of Luna, Artemis, and Diana in this episode was really touching. We haven’t gotten to see a lot of Diana and her bond with Chibiusa, especially this season, so to get to see her mourning too really got me.
What were some of the best or worst lines that stood out to you?
“I’ll link my body to Chibi-Usa’s. I’ll use my body as a life-support device to [keep] Chibi-Usa’s body alive.
-Mamoru says this to everyone at his place as he is entrusting Usagi and the others to recover the Legendary Silver Crystal and Chibi-Usa’s soul.
“Whatever labyrinth I wander into, I won’t give up my hope.”
-Usagi after defeating Kaolinite, echoing Mamoru’s sentiment earlier in the episode for her to not give up hope.
These are questions sparked by the episode. Sono and Ammit discuss them in the show and want to hear your thoughts too. Please comment on this post to answer or use Twitter, Tumblr or send your replies to the inbox.
- What did you think of Mistress 9’s interactions with Kalonite?
- How does hearing Professor Tomoe say that he implanted the Egg within Hotaru years ago effect how you see him?
- Did it seem strange to you that Pharaoh 90 didn’t fully recognize the Legendary Silver Crystal as an infinite power source?
- What are your thoughts on Kalonite’s spell and the re-use of the Witches 5?
- Is the name “Mistress 9” diminutive or diminishing of this lady?
We hope you enjoyed the show and thank you for listening. If you’d like to comment on our thoughts, or ask any questions about Sailor Moon Crystal, send your supplications to our inbox, show us your magical might by enchanting our Submission Box on Tumblr or tell us to believe in ourselves or give us any other messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually