In this Moon Speak, Sono and Ammit discuss of Act.32 which is Sailor Moon Crystal 33. This episode features mad science, Hotaru’s traumatic backstory including a fiery death for her mother, loads of exposition from the Outer Guardians and a lot of Moon family love.
Save As… to Download |Episode length: 0:31:54
Here at the TOH Network, we like to acknowledge the people who work on all the shows we discuss and offer thanks for their effort as we critique the finished product.
Nothing new for this week.
Monster of the Week (Basically)
The two-in-one Witch level 999, That’s THREE NINES, Death Buster Cyprine
of the (formerly) Witches 5 causes a lot of trouble this episode.
Was there anything that rubbed you the wrong way?
- Hulu’s subs this week were not great… This isn’t so much a show issue, but There were a lot of poorly constructed sentences and missing words that made bits a little hard to understand.
- Haruka’s half-apology for “confusing” Usagi. What are you apologizing for? It doesn’t sound like any of the like 30 things you SHOULD be apologizing to her for.
- Yes, the subs were bad. It must be hard work and who knows what happened, but Sono, you are right about how hard it made it to understand certain things.
- +1 on Haruka’s bizarre apology
- Cyprine and Ptilol don’t have a composite name. I would have liked that.
- I don’t really get Cyprine’s motivation behind turning the masses violent and hateful
What were some lovely things you found especially catching?
- Pluto’s first act is to hug Chibiusa, and that’s super sweet. Even reborn, that part of herself is still there.
- I liked the red-eye effect for possession. It was just kind of unsettling and creepy and it worked well for me here.
- I felt so bad for Chibiusa when she saw Hotaru’s arm. Like… Look, she’s what… 10? 12? She has no idea how to react to seeing an ENTIRE ARM OF EXPOSED MUSCLE AND ROBOT PARTS. And she immediately realized that running away probably hurt Hotaru’s feelings because she remembered it was something that Hotaru was self-conscious about.
- Usagi asking Chibiusa if she’s okay taking the mission to keep an eye on Hotaru, and acknowledging that it might be hard and things may happen that will be difficult for Chibiusa to deal with
- I really like the way Takeuchi’s conceit of “incarnation” allows the Guardians to act as if they are just picking up where they had left off. Pluto is back and remembers everything from before and her exposition really helped me buy into what’s going on here. Haruka and Michiru are desperate to make up for lost time because Neptune and Uranus have a duty to which they are committed and they don’t want to let anything stop them from fulfilling that duty.
- Professor Tomoe’s background makes him terrifying. He really is a mad scientist and i never expected this in Sailor Moon, but it sure is exciting and unsettling.
- The two-in-one Witch Cyprine is really cool. She has a great design, she is super strong and the splitting is really cool. She also has a GREAT design. I also really like that she is a Level 999 Death Buster.
- The Moon Family Love Huddle was beautiful and I was so happy to see the Holy Grail make it’s appearance as an enchanted item for Usagi to use in battle.
What were some of the best or worst lines that stood out to you?
“How do you like your new parts? They’re made of newly developed cells and neurons. Both the materials and the receptors are made of the latest versions.”
-Professor Tomoe to Hotaru after her surgery. (THIS Is SOOOO CREEEPY)
“Somehow Pluto seems different than before. She’s changed into someone much stronger and greater…”
-Chibiusa about Pluto when she reappears.
These are questions sparked by the episode. Sono and Ammit discuss them in the show and want to hear your thoughts too. Please comment on this post to answer or use Twitter, Tumblr or send your replies to the inbox.
- How did you take the line about Haruka’s dual sexual identity? Did they mean gender?Why did Usagi change into her Neo Queen Serenity form in front of the three Outers?
- Why did Usagi change into her Neo Queen Serenity form in front of the three Outers?
- How is it that Haruka and Michiru were born too late?
- How did you receive the Outers insistence that the Inners stay out of the fight against the Death Busters?
- How did you read Makoto’s suggestion that they stay out of the fight when they saw Cyprine fighting the Outers on the rooftop?
- So we’ve learned a bit about the invaders from the Tau system and their motives. How are we feeling about that?
We hope you enjoyed the show and thank you for listening. If you’d like to comment on our thoughts, or ask any questions about Sailor Moon Crystal, send your supplications to our inbox, show us your magical might by enchanting our Submission Box on Tumblr or tell us to believe in ourselves or give us any other messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually