Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Episode 12 – The Short-Nosed Elephant
Episode 13 – The Mountain Witness
Save As… to Download |Episode Length 0:28:59
Before we start Sono is going to give credit where it is due:
Episode 12 – The Short-Nosed Elephant; Episode 13 – The Mountain Witness
Episode Writer: Tanaka Jin (12) & Komura Junko (13)
Episode Director: Nakazawa Shoujiro (12 & 13)
Tanaka Jin is a new name to Sentai, but he has a few anime credits under his belt. Most notably to the relevant audience is Doki Doki Precure, Happiness Charge Precure, and Go! Princess Precure, but he’s also written on One Piece and Tokyo Ghoul. I’m not all that familiar with his previous work, but he does some neat character writing in this episode, even if I think the overall plot of the episode was a little weak.
Zyuohger 12’s Monster of the Week: Hatena of Team Kubard
Zyuohger 13’s Monster of the Week: Team Azald’s Noborizon
Animal Instincts – Overall Thoughts about the episode & it’s message
Moral of today’s story is don’t be a dang elitist jerk. You’re not better than everyone because you like books, old man. If you want people to like books and be engaged with reading, don’t CHASE THEM AWAY FROM THE BOOKS. Good god. This is not rocket science.
I don’t even know. I honestly… This was not a good episode. Why did they do this?
I like this episode overall. The book had cute illustrations and it was sweet how it was about friends helping each other out. I think more than friends helping each other, it was about stretching to better extend one’s self towards others and that’s definitely a good thing.
It certainly was an episode. I’m glad we’re doubling up this week, I guess. Congratulations Aleph, you are dodging a bullet here.
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- Sorry not sorry, but the villain plan was dumb and it made no sense. “Culture” comes from more than just words and talking. As much as I liked the character work in this episodes, the set-up and execution of this were just both more than a little lacking.
- As mentioned above, I got more than a little frustrated with this old man chasing everyone out of his store, especially younger people. Like man if you think kids don’t like books, BEING A JERK ABOUT IT will definitely not get them reading the books you like.
- Wow I was 12 seconds into episode 13 and I was done with Leo. I am impressed. No one else wanted this Leo.. Not Yamato. Not Yuri. Definitely not me.
- I’m really bothered by how inconsistent Leo’s characterization is. Where’s the Leo from a few episodes ago who got all riled up over music and only cared about a dude pursuing what he loved? Why did it come to this? Not to mention just his inconsistent attitude throughout the episode. He’s turning his emotions on a dime and not in a way that makes any real sense, especially with how Leo is. I’m really disappointed in Komura for writing him this way. Komura wrote both of Leo’s other two big episodes (Howl in the Ring, and Melody of the Savannah) so I can’t even chalk it up to being different writers. Especially with Komura on lead, this is a huge narrative disappointment for me.
- Kind of angry about the excessive bear traps but bear traps in general make me angry because they’re awful.
- Amu mentions Tusk being shy and I don’t really remember that being the case previously. I could see calling him introverted, like the old man running the book store, but not shy.
- I can’t believe they went with something as simple as a love triangle. I’m sure the parrakeet thing was supposed to be a clever twist to ameliorate reasonable arguments about how bad and weak it is to keep doing love triangles, but it wasn’t.
- Leo is hiding from his feelings and burying them in running through traps, way to go show. Tell those boys to cover it all up, let’s see how healthy that is for them in the long run. Has it occurred to anyone that toxic masculinity is BAD and is caused by pushing males to HOLD in their emotions and not process them?
- Naria’s finger caresses the coin slot and I can’t tell if it is intentional or not, but it made my skin crawl a bit.
Tide Turners – Stuff you enjoyed.
- The whole thing with reading to the kids, from start to finish, was so incredibly sweet. From Tusk remembering reading with his father, to him trying so hard to engage the kids, to Amu putting together the whole idea to help and act it out with everyone. When the team showed up in the costumes to help, I actually teared up a bit. Or maybe a lot.
- Leo with crayons in the beginning was hilarious. He tries so hard. Also it’s cool that Sela can draw so well. Neat little bits of just stuff to know about everyone. We haven’t gotten little things like that in a while.
- I think it was cute that when Sela, Amu, and Tusk fell down the mountainside, Amu didn’t land in the mud due to, I assume, cat reflexes. Nice touch.
- I like the big group slash being a big paw with claws out. That’s cute.
- I knew the axe was going to be a robot weapon, but the rest of the episode kept focus away from it so nicely that I forgot about it until they actually needed it, so y’know props on decent writing in that regard.
- Cube Bear makes the cutest noise oh my god.
- I can relate to Yuri thinking about cute birds and being happy.
- Nobody actually had to die this week. The plot was very much in the vein of a Golgom Plot and that made me happy because they seem ludicrous. OK. Golgom Plots are completely daft, but they dip into genius in that, if they actually succeeded, Golgom could just sit back and let humanity destroy itself. Were language to be removed from the human toolkit, we’d be screwed.
- That book had adorable illustrations
- I enjoyed seeing the Zyuohgers interacting with all those kids.
- Evil hat possession.
- I like how balanced Yamato is. He wasn’t interested in Yuri and only thought of her safety and was kind to Leo when he was acting a fool.
- Yamato gives Leo a great look of incredulity when his is going off the wall.
- Amu fighting while on the phone was really cool.
Evolutions – What do you think this show has in store for the future?
- We’re finally getting an Amu episode and i am praying with all of my heart that it’s good. Arakawa’s writing it though so I’m not too worried.
- I’m guessing bird-man is going to stay out of the show for the next few episodes as we spend more time with this gaggle of goofs.
- The show will be better next week, partly because I can’t imagine it getting worse.
Quick Reflexes – Questions in reaction to this bit of Zyuohger.
- So what are your thoughts on “Words = Culture”?
- What are your thoughts on Tusk’s outreach to the kids and how the others joined in to help?
At least there we got the Bear Cub(e) and Bear Axe from episode 13…
NEXT WEEK — EPISODE 14: Lying Thief: Idiot-Type
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually