Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Episode 11 – Animal Assembly!
Save As… to Download |Episode Length 0:30:17
Before we start Sono is going to give credit where it is due:
Episode 11 – Animal Assembly!
Episode Writer: Komura Junko
Episode Director: Shibasaki Takayuki
Zyuohger 11’s Monster of the Week: GIFT is still here
Animal Instincts – Overall Thoughts about the episode & it’s message
Overall, pretty solid episode. Punched home the emotions in all of the right places, had a sweet slow-motion group walk, introduced a new element and a new robot, and wrapped up this “Gift” thing. Everyone felt top of their game.
I’m not sure about an overall message but I think it maybe kind of a more cut and dry, pure version of Ghost’s recent “Go with your gut” message. Hard decisions will come and in your heart you’re going to know what the right one is and you need to follow that instinct.
This episode was good. It felt like a turning point in the show overall and I like how it was structured. The search for the 6th Champion’s Symbol ends, the Zyumen chose to stick with Yamato and they access Wild Zyuoh King enabling them to beat the greatest Dethgalien challenge to date. All the while, we get this bird-man thrown in the mix to challenge assumptions and create conflict and it makes Zyuland feel a lot more dynamic and real to me.
And that really is kind of the hook for me right there, and one that makes me so happy this series is airing alongside Kamen Rider Ghost: in the middle of all this yearning for home, we have someone coming in and saying that maaaaaaaybe home isn’t so all-fired great. Sure, it’s Kaixa sayin’ it, but this idea that you have to ask questions about things you love is great for reasons that I’m sure none of us present can relate to. Then marrying that to a thing about how it’s noble to sacrifice for people, but you gotta let people make their own choices? Baller as heck. Zyuohger still doesn’t feel like it’s gonna be one of the greats, but it’s at least showing that it’s gonna be a scrapper, which is all I ask.
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- Well, my worries about Naria still stand. She did get to actually have a thought and emotion for herself this episode (Being interested in Yamato being willing to fight GIFT on his own), but everything else was par for the course.
- Aside from that and having to look at ZyuohGorilla, I’ve really got nothing. This episode felt like a very solid plot episode.
- I missed the boat on the Champion’s Symbol having been stolen. I know it went missing, but I thought that was more because of the Gate Cube being blown up. How did Yamato pass through then? His was the 6th and then a different one went missing in the explosion? Tusk’s mention of the thief really threw me.
- Why does Bird-Man have the Chain sword? That doesn’t make sense.
- G.I.F.T. was too soft on them after it had charged up.
- What was with the dirt flying behind Wild Zyuoh King?
Yeah, this idea that they all know that the Eagle Zyulander is a thief is… I don’t know. It’s weird and I wish they’d’ve explained it a bit more.
Tide Turners – Stuff you enjoyed.
- Nice to see them breaking out Ankh’s old feathers.
- Sela and Amu sleeping on the swing together was cuter than I was prepared for.
- The heartfelt conversation with Mario was so nice. Toei’s really making good use of their side characters lately. Mario really felt like a parent-figure.
- The transition between the instrumental and lyrical versions of the OP was so strong. The moment hit and it hit hard and I loved it.
- “From now on we’re not here because we’re stuck. We’re here because we chose to be.” Aaaaand there goes every single emotion I have. I’m an absolute sucker for that kind of stuff.
- G.I.F.T. needing to charge and Genis being a sadist made a good excuse for it NOT killing them in the beginning moments of this episode
- Uncle Mario is so sweet with his care and concern for Yamato and the others
- Mario’s animal PJ’s are adorable
- Yamato’s shirts are too good.
- Naria’s reactions to Yamato taking on G.I.F.T. alone were really good.
- The miniature work on Yamato attacking G.I.F.T. was cool
- Really dug on the detail that flying Kusaka uses his chain-sword more frequently as a whip than as a sword, to give a nice contrast with Yamato, who’s clearly more sword-first.
- Mario finally starts to feel like he’s there for a reason and I am SO here for it.
- GIFT is just a lovely design. I wasn’t around last week to say it, but I love the heck outta that robot.
- And like Sono said: That bit at the end where they’re on Earth because it’s a choice? That feels GOOOOOD.
Evolutions – What do you think this show has in store for the future?
Next episode looks like a breather/character development episode. Tusk is going to be adorable. Maybe also Amu.
I want to know why bird-man left Zyuland. I want to learn that he was exiled by some wicked powers-that-be there, or that he sought to walk his own path and live in self-imposed exile to free himself from some essential flaw in the Zyulander culture.
I’m pretty much down for more stuff about why they kicked Kaixa outta Zyuland, even though I’m pretty sure we all know why.
Quick Reflexes – Questions in reaction to this bit of Zyuohger.
- So now that we’ve seen a bit more of Bird-Man, what do you think of him?
- How about that robot upgrade?
NEXT WEEK — EPISODE 12: The Short-Nosed Elephant
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually