Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Episode 10 – The Most Dangerous Game!
Save As… to Download |Episode Length 0:33:49
Before we start Sono is going to give credit where it is due:
Episode 10 – The Most Dangerous Game!
Episode Writer: Komura Junko
Episode Director: Shibasaki Takyuki
Zyuohger 10’s Monster of the Week: Genis
G.I.F.T. was there too…
Animal Instincts – Overall Thoughts about the episode & it’s message
This episode does a lot to set up a larger conflict, and I think the real pay-off is going to be in episode 11, but there’s Zyuohger’s usual notes of “When the going gets tough” and all that, as well as that sometimes under pressure even strong people break down and need time to think and breathe and it doesn’t make you weak or stupid to need that.
I think the overall message in this episode is Gamers are trash. Ok. I take that back. People who are obsessed only with stimulating and pleasing themselves like the Blood Gamer, Genis are trash. It’s a dead simple message, but with all the horror and terror displayed this episode, I feel compelled to state the obvious and advise everyone to be better than that huge glowy-mouth jerk genis. Have some compassion!
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- Oh man Naria… Please be playing the long con, Naria, because god this episode was not good to you. “Oh it’s fine if I stand here and die. I just do what Master Genis wants.” Please, Zyuohger. You’re so much better than this.
- Leo, don’t touch Sela. She’s clearly not happy. You should know her well enough to know better. Just… Don’t do it.
- I’m kind of ticked about them “killing” that cat. It was mild visually, thank god, but just…I mean I know that they are also killing people left and right, but… I don’t know. Maybe that it was more focused on than just “bunch of mooks attacking bunch of people” or “building explosion and people probably died in that but we don’t see them”, as opposed to “Watch this one singular cat dissolve for 3 seconds.” It’s really hard to put into words, but it got my back up.
- I’m not sure this totally counts, but I had human-form bird-dad Kusaka spoiled for me and it really took the fun out of the whole thing. The preview doesn’t have me very excited for him either.
- Genis killed a CAT
- Naria is seemingly a willing tool of Genis
- I wish that Amu’s insight to Yamato alone would have been used to show how much like searching for the Champion Symbol is to searching for Genis’ shut down switch. The flashback was too much. This show seems better than that.
- Kubard and Azald talking up G.I.F.T. seemed a bit much. It really destroyed 10 planets in one day?
- Amu hid behind Yamato when Naria showed up. Why?
Tide Turners – Stuff you enjoyed.
- The scene where Sela, Tusk, and Leo get frustrated with their inability to find the switch, and the Champion Symbol, and Amu’s handling of it, was something I really liked. It really dawned on me through this that Amu very much avoids conflict when possible. She’ll fight the bad guys but she doesn’t like to see the others argue or get frustrated, and I think that may be part of why she tends to abandon their searches in favor of things she enjoys. And I’m glad she knew that this wasn’t the time or place to just ditch things and instead just tried to break up the conflict and help Yamato understand what was happening.
- I loved Yamato and Sela kind of using their special abilities together to accomplish the goal. They’re finally building that into the teamwork and I’d love to see more of it.
- Genis showing some emotion was nice. We’ve had some bloodshed before that he hasn’t reacted to, but this was on another level and it was kind of scary how into it he was.
- The show didn’t forget about the bit of actual development from last episode.
- Amu still knows what’s up and is more emotionally in tune than the rest.
- The mook fight was SO dynamically blocked. It was beautiful.
- Naria is doing a thing!
- I am consistently impressed with how terrifying the actions of the Deathgalien are even if they themselves are bland.
- GIFT went giant on its own.
Evolutions – What do you think this show has in store for the future?
Bird Dad Kusaka is going to be stronger than everyone and be a grump about kids these days and no wonder you dang kids can’t beat the robot you’re all soft.
Angry Birdman is going to be an aloof mentor figure… wait, is that what you just said, Sono?
Quick Reflexes – Questions in reaction to this bit of Zyuohger.
First impressions on the Eagle Zyuman?
NEXT WEEK — EPISODE 11: Animal Assembly
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually