In this Moon Speak, Sono and Ammit discuss Act 28 Infinity 2 Ripples which is Sailor Moon Crystal Season III’s third episode. Up for discussion this episode: stolen kisses, sexist mindsets, defective Daimon, waterfall training and the name-dropping Death Busters.
Save As… to Download |Episode length: 0:29:01
Here at the TOH Network, we like to acknowledge the people who work on all the shows we discuss and offer thanks for their effort as we critique the finished product.
Monster of the Week (Not Quite)
Eudial is the Witches 5 Master of Fire! … and she is defeated in this episode. Usagi makes short work of her
Was there anything that rubbed you the wrong way?
Two minor things:
Rei wanting to keep Usagi out of things. The whole team should face things together.
Moon Spiral Heart Attack strikes again. I’d like to see other attacks from Sailor Moon.
My one big issue with this really solid episode:
The kiss at the end. It was stolen/forced. It wasn’t quite as bad as Mamoru trying to kiss sleeping Usagi in Masquerade Dance Party, but still, it rubbed me the wrong way. This feels extra creepy to me because it feels like using sex…uality as a weapon. Not homo- or hetero- sexuality just an aspect of sex which is supposed to be mutual, pleasurable and consensual as something to throw off and harm Usagi.
On Amit’s complaint about Usagi in the dark: Agreed on this. It seems to go against the nature of the group. I know that Rei especially is protective of Usagi, and to a degree I can buy wanting to keep Usagi specifically from a preventable dangerous situation, but to keep the OTHER girls out of it seems to fly in the face of who the Senshi are and have always been to Usagi. They work together, using different strengths to protect the Princess.
Regarding the kiss: To a degree, I think that’s kind of Haruka’s plan. Throw Usagi into disarray by any means necessary to just keep her, and the others by extension, out of her and Michiru’s way while they do what they need to. It’s a display of power. Haruka is strong so she can do what she wants. And especially knowing Usagi’s devotion to Mamoru, she takes it as an effective weapon.
I’m not defending the action by any means, because woahhhh no no no it’s a terrible thing, but desperation leads to bad choices and as far as bad choices go, Haruka tends to be king.
What were some lovely things you found especially catching?
- The Silver Millennium family is co-sleeping at Mamoru’s place. That’s so sweet.
- Makoto was SO excited for Rei’s birthday
- Makoto and Rei seemed like a really tight pair this episode, while Makoto and Minako seem like a really tight pair last episode, I love how true all these relationships are between the girls because they all have different facets that compliment each other.
- Minako made herself Artemis PJs
Regarding Co-sleeping: Seconding this! It was super adorable, and I like that Usagi’s family will just let them go sleep over at Mamoru’s. It show trust in Usagi, and also that they have respect for Usagi and Mamoru’s relationship.
- Minako’s Artemis PJ’s absolutely slayed me. I love them and want a pair.
- The Sailor V Computer Base got a sweet couch. Can we get a stool for Artemis tho? He is probably sitting on some important buttons being up on the console like that.
- Chibs has a crush on Hotaru already and it’s cute as heck.
What were some of the best or worst lines that stood out to you?
“Michiru, perhaps what we’re going to do is meaningless. Maybe it’s too late no matter what we do.” — “We started it knowing that, Haruka.”
-Haruka and Michiru, when they decide to also look for the talismans.
”Do you take it for granted that women can’t beat men? Can you protect your precious ones with that mindset?”
-Haruka to the girls after they were upset with “him” for beating Makoto so thoroughly at Judo.
These are questions sparked by the episode. Sono and Ammit discuss them in the show and want to hear your thoughts too. Please comment on this post to answer or use Twitter, Tumblr or send your replies to the inbox.
- If Hotaru can heal people why is she sick? Wouldn’t you think she could heal herself?
- Haruka chides the girls for their sexist mindset when they are upset with how she out-Judoed Makoto, what do you think is going on in that scene?
- Is Kalonite just calling the cat Daimon defective because it was defeated, or was it actually defective some how?
- Eudial presents herself to Magus Kalonite as Yuko Arimura, a student deeply involved in the school, so are the Witches 5 all students at Mugen Academy?
We hope you enjoyed the show and thank you for listening. If you’d like to comment on our thoughts, or ask any questions about Sailor Moon Crystal, send your supplications to our inbox, show us your magical might by enchanting our Submission Box on Tumblr or tell us to believe in ourselves or give us any other messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
You can reach us individually