Join us as we start on a wild ride through Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger! Can Yamato lead his Zyuman friends through an adventure to save the human world from the Deathgalien? Find out how we think he’s doing as we share our thoughts on:
Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger; Episode 2- Don’t Mess With This Planet!
Save As… to Download Episode Length 1:32:37
Before we start Sono is going to give credit where it is due:
Dobutsu Sentai Zyuohger; Episode 2 – Don’t Mess With This Planet!
Episode Writer: Komura Junko
Episode Director: Shibasaki Takayuki
This is the same duo as last week, so no need to rehash all they’ve done in the past, but I want to commend them on bringing this cast of characters and this world to life so quickly.
Animal Instincts – Overall Thoughts about the episode & it’s message
SONO- This episode was honestly almost too cute for me to handle. Leo, Amu, and Sela exploring and having fun was just too damn cute and I loved it.
I think the conflict with Tusk amounted to something in the theme of “we can do more if we work together”. They have a common goal, and splitting up will only make things harder. Once everyone was working together, they had no trouble defeating their enemy, but when Tusk wasn’t helping and Yamato fought on his own, it was too much for them to handle.
AMMIT- I’m really enjoying the fact that almost no time elapsed from the end of episode 1. The differences between Yamato and his Zyumen remain pronounce which nicely balances out the concept of equality with sameness. I was thrilled to see an alternate 3 mech combo right away and I’m curious if the Zyuohgers will be like the gokaiger who rarely had an issue dispatching their foes. I really enjoyed how inept the Zagnyack were in comparison to the Pirate Sentai and I’m looking forward to seeing how that will hopefully be subverted here.
ALEPH-And me? I’m just super-excited about how much I like Yamato. Yamato’s a good friggin’ dude and a classic sort of red and his message of interconnectedness is REALLY working for me and overcomes the many, many, many aggressive feels I have about how to do evironmentalist stuff well by just pounding home that it’s about the interconnectedness of people and, guys, y’all know I love me some Fourze, right? Got some Fourze feels, which is making me warm up to it a bit more. The Zyulanders are cool, too, but while this felt like it was going to be a Tusk focus, it really was just cementing Yamato.
Hackles Up! – Problems & Nitpicks
- Collars and leashes? Why collars and leashes? Like it rubs me the wrong way on a meta level because two of them are women, but also on a contextual level because THAT’S SUPER DISRESPECTFUL TO THIS EQUALLY INTELLIGENT SPECIES. Like you put a leash on a dog so it can’t run into traffic, because a dog doesn’t instinctively get that a car could just come out of nowhere if it runs into the street, or that a person it encounters is or isn’t a threat or someone it shouldn’t just run up to and inspect. But like YOU CAN JUST. TELL THEM NO. SIT THEM DOWN AND TELL THEM NO. Like I get the gag but it just doesn’t work for me.
- I really REALLY hope Naria will eventually get to do more than just pass out continues. She seems like she could be really interesting if she decided to flip this whole thing on it’s head eventually like “I don’t want to be the Booth Babe anymore I wanna go KILL A THING.”
- +1 on treating the Zyumen like animals. Are we equals or not?
- Azald [Blue Cube] saying that Naria “the Girl” doesn’t understand the Blood Game
- Halbogi’s very Aboriginal design feels a bit wrong in this context
- Uncle Mario doesn’t have to be the animal to carve it, does he?
- The baddies need a thing to do and soon. The Gegeru worked because it was mysterious and audacious and personal. The Blood Game not so much; they’re sentai villains. Massive impersonal destruction is their whole deal. Need some meat to it because they are so close to generic–a really gorgeous-looking generic, but generic nonetheless–and as I said last week, I really dig on villain politics in sentai.
- Look, I am almost entirely sure I have seen the monster this week in another show. I could not tell you which one, but I am SO sure I’ve seen it afore.
- The weird sorta-Tarzan yells are starting to hit me weird. I can’t quite say why. Imagine I’ll get used to them or not.
Tide Turners – Stuff you enjoyed.
- I love that Sela is just as fun and excitable as Amu. Way too often you have the girls on a polar opposite spectrum and you’ve got the fun silly one and the serious badass who refuses fun, and honestly I’m just glad to see the “serious” girl getting to enjoy herself and have things she loves doing right out of the gate.
- I also like that Mario’s animal impersonations are apparently SO GOOD that he legitimately fooled Sela’s sense of hearing. She thought it was a real seal. I just like Mario a lot. He’s goofy, but he loves what he does and I’m okay with his goofiness as long as he keeps imparting his wonderful old-man wisdom on the group.
- Eagle-Tiger-Elephant has claw knees jesus christ I love it RIP HIM OPEN WITH YOUR KNEE.
- I also like that even though Leo and Amu both have big claws as their power-up, they have very different attacks with them.
- Leo is so proud of his loudness while Amu has an extraordinary sense of taste and Sela has the very practical KEEN as all get out hearing
- The other Zyumen all have this implicit trust that Tusk will be OK and call them if he is in need of helop
- Uncle Mario and Yamato telling about his experience with the Eagle-Man to two parties simultaneously
- Yamato’s insistence that all life is connected and that is why he will do all he can to help out those around him is gorgeous
- No, seriously, I love it. The whole thing where it’s the Zyulanders being kinda mercenary about paying things back and then Yamato doing all the stuff to pay it forward? Love it.
- Could still go either way on Uncle Mario, but finding out he’s an eccentric artist does push me into the liking him camp.
- Mostly I just REALLY loved the Zyulanders’ body language. The face and suit actors really bring a lot to driving home how like the animals we know they are, even if they’re also upright-walking versions thereof.
Evolutions – What do you think this show has in store for the future?
Sono- Amu episode next which may actually kill me with how cute she is, because man this episode came pretty close.
Ammit- Uncle Mario will get to help the Zyuohger by carving up some mystic cube shards into new Cubimals – yes I am talking about Mario going all Wajima up in this show!
Aleph- But beyond that, I am really looking forward to the head bad’n being, like, a dude with a giant metal snake tail for legs and also some more explanation of why the Zyulanders are so devil-may-care about all kinds of everything.
Do you think Yamato got Tusk to change his mind about being part of the group too easily?
What do you think of each Zyuman having their own heightened sense, and which one they were assigned?
NEXT WEEK — EPISODE 3: Can’t Go Home, Even Though I Want To
To share your thoughts with us or ask us questions about Zyuohger and Super Sentai in general from the jungle of the net, direct your instincts to our inbox, Submit a portion of your self to us on Tumblr or probe our souls with your pithy or verbose messages on twitter @unkamenrx.
NOTE: FYI There may be something up with the link for Anglemeister …it redirects to Tumblr in a weird way when it shouldn’t. If anyone knows what’s up and how I can fix it on my end please let me know. It could just be a Tumblr[dot]com thing though
You can reach us individually