Join us as we take a critical eye to Kamen Rider Ghost. Will Takeru save himself and the Kamen Rider franchise in the  days he has left on this blue planet? Find out how we think he’s doing as we pass judgement on:
15 Anguish! The Hard-Headed Escape King!
Save As… to Download Episode Length 2:07:15
What, if anything, is being said about the world and our place in it in this episode? Ghost deals with the idea of Icons and Great Men, in a way that makes focusing narrowly on obtaining tangible objects relating to them important, but what makes a person great? What does that mean?
Let’s turn a discerning eye to what could be the Macro Message hidden in this episode of Ghost!
Ammit’s View Ghost 15
There is an easy way to do things and a hard way to do things and people are usually going to do things in the way more natural to them. This is a stretch, more of an observation really and not a fantastic message to purposely cast at young minds.
Sono’s View Ghost 15
A little hard to say, but I’m going to lean into Makoto and Takeru on this one and go with there are some things you have to do by yourself, and there are some things you have to just step back from.
I know I’ve been going pretty heavy on how much I love the feeling of accomplishing things together, and how you can do so much more when you don’t force yourself to take the world on alone, but at the end of the day, you have to make decisions for yourself. Having people to help you is great, but you can’t let everyone else do everything for you.
On the other side of that same coin, you can’t solve everyone’s problems for them. No matter how good your intentions or how much you care, you need to let people come to conclusions for themselves and fight their own battles. It’s great to offer support if they need it and be there in whatever ways you can for the people you love, but it’s really easy to fall into the same traps and problems over and over when someone else is solving all of your problems.
Makoto grew stronger this week, and Takeru’s faith in him being able to fight for himself lent a lot to that. Takeru let Makoto fight for himself and Makoto was able to come through, and that faith in his friend allowed him to reach Musashi.
Sarranecinan’s View Ghost 15
)Honestly this episode is the first time I felt it was just “adequate”. As in, while the episode itself is fine, it also feels oddly “mechanical” I suppose?
The episode seemed to be out of the necessity of “we gotta give Makoto something to do somehow”, more so than previous episodes of the show where it all seemed to fall more or less in a fitting place. The banality of Kanon being kidnapped, compounded by how they brought back a previous villain thought to be dead only to finish him off again by the other guy all signal a really by the numbers setup.
Its odd to consider given how a lot of the episodes does have a some important character elements going on, such as the relationships Takeru and Alan have with Makoto, the hints of Kanon’s relation with Alan, a further exploration on the sentience of the Eyecons, etc.
Aleph’s View Ghost 15
It was alright, but it really is lacking some of the dynamism of earlier episodes. It’s not bad, but it DEFINITELY felt like “Right now let’s get this last power-up out of the way so we can get going”. Not even an excuse of having it written by someone else, tisk, tisk.
But looking to what I picked up, I focused largely on how Makoto’s hard-headed “I will MAKE you do what I say” thing is butting up against a will as strong as his own and we see how kinda jerky, pig-headed and useless that kind of powerplay can be as, honestly, there’s nothing to it. Just screaming and screaming until you finally have to ask for help because you can’t make people help you, making yourself too tired and injured to do the things you need to do.
The unKamenCrew’s Top 3 (Maximum) Woments from Ghost 15
- Javert still being alive somehow
- Kanon receiving Aran so warmly
- Musahsi’s look and the fisheye inside the Musashi Eyecon
- I love Kanon’s very sensible clothing choices. Winter coat, sweater, opaque (meaning likely cotton) leggings, and sneakers. The skirt is a little short, but it’s mid-calf at least and with the leggings she wouldn’t be cold. Cute and practical. Akari is also in sweaters and opaque leggings and longer skirts. Man whoever is on wardrobe for the girls this season gets my blessing.
- Makoto specifically saying he wants to live as a human (Listening to his actual line, it’s not a translation choice. He does use those words.). I just like that choice of words, specifically directed at Aran because man that has to burn him a bit. Especially since we had that whole conversation between Aran and his brother about being able to have a human body with an Eyecon…
- I have to imagine when we hit the listener feedback, we’re going to get some complaints about Makoto refusing Takeru’s help and Takeru not stepping in, but honestly I loved this. Makoto’s been faced with the threat of THE ENTIRELY OF HELL being after him (and probably also Kanon), and Takeru solving all of his problems for him and getting the big powerful upgrade. That really kills a dude’s moral. Houdini is his. He needs to figure it out on his own. He got Kanon in trouble again, he needs to get her out of it. When Takeru DID step in, Makoto didn’t get mad because at that point he REALLY needed the back up, but I love that Takeru understood that Makoto needed to fight for himself in order to be able to fight with Takeru. If Takeru and Kanon are relying on him, he needs to know he’s strong enough to be relied on.
- Akari’s “Boys are so dumb.” and Onari in the back like “Yeah we sure are.” And just the look Kanon gives Akari like “Man that’s what I’ve been saying for the past 3 and a half months.” (I have screencapped this is we want to use it for the ep.)
- The first like 5 minutes of this episode absolutely destroyed every bit of my soul. Everyone is so dang cute. We got this really peaceful moment that gave so much to everyone’s background.
- Onari and Akari had some really cute banter in the opening scene too and I’m going to bring it up every damn time the two of them have great small interactions because I’ve been STARVING for this stuff for two years.
- Onari fainting when he sees Yurusen while Akari just kind of doesn’t react.
- Akari loves Houdini. That’s adorable. I hope Houdini and Edison become her besties.
- The Javert-Kundali fusion was pretty sick looking.
- Look, I like that “Javert” is like the katana guy. I hope he keeps coming back and I ADORE that when we look at his visor a little closer, it’s a big ol’ friggin’ eyeball behind it. That’s beautiful.
- I LOVE the whole thing with Makoto being made a prisoner of his own bone-headed thinking. Might be iffy on the resolution, but it was a really nice visual.
- Akari still basically calling Takeru a jackass for not showing up to help his bro, which… I mean I know that this is a “I will listen to you because you are my friend” thing and a self-confidence boost–like Sono was saying–but, look, if he’s saving Kanon to stroke his ego, yikes Akari getting to point out when people are being jerks is a thing I never tire of.
- The old takoyaki lady is nice. A neat way to add in to the character relationships
In keeping with Ms. Akari’s love of the empirical, the following contains observable information from the events of the day Akari received a set of injuries and Takeru and Onari set up the Daitenkuu temple as a headquarters for staging paranormal investigations.
15 Anguish! The Hard-Headed Escape King!
Information from TV-N’s Wiki on Ghost 15
Writer: Fukuda Takurou
Director: Yamaguchi Kyouhei
Action Director: Miyazaki Takeshi
Ganma: Javert… again
New Heroic Eyecon Summoned: HOUDINI
Miscellaneous: Makoto’s bike apparently has HOUDINI inside of it. I guess that explains the chains?
-86 day left
-Takeru Akari and Onari are setting up a celebration at Mrs. Fumi’s Takoyaki stand where they spent time as children eating her delicious fried octopus. When Makoto and Kanon arrive she is ealted and asks some questions, but Akari distracts her and she reminisces about those bygone days.
-Takeru recalls Ryu’s parting words about unitng the souls of the 15 Heroic Eyecons and suggests to Makoto that he try to befriend Houdini in order to get the Eyecon to open up for him, as it has yet to lend him power.
-Prince Aran summons Javert who didn’t actually die and orders him to closely follow his order and that Javert will be helping him gather the 15 Heroic Eyecons, Javert says he doesn’t know what the Eyecons do, he was just following orders to collect them. Prince Aran stops Javert when he says he will defeat Spectre and Ghost to take their Eyecons.
-In the lab Takeru struggle to communicate with MUSASHI through the Eyecon. Yurusen suggest he learn something from Onari who is hearing things from GOEMON’s Eyecon. Sage and Yurusen tell Takeru that the Ganma World IS Hell and Akari uses Shiranui Spider-Lantern on them, which makes for the first time Onari has seen them. Before Takeru can get any other information from them, Sage drops a hint about Houdini and then vanishes.
-Narita and Shibuya come into the lab and let Takeru, Akari and Onari know of reports of a dragon. Onari runs of jittering with excitement.
-Makoto and Kanon visit Mrs. Fumi at her food stand again to thank and compliment her. Prince Aran comes along and Kanon warmly greets him. Aran and Makoto leave to have a conversation and Kanon stays with Mrs. Fumi.
-Aran tells Makoto he can ruin his happiness with Kanon and Makoto answers that he wants nothing to do with the Ganma World. Javert attacks and defeats Makoto calling him weak and saying he has lost his strength. Takeru and Kanon come along after Spectre has been buried in gravel. Takeru uses Newton to free him and switches to Boost to fight Javert when Makoto is unable to.
-Javert says that individual lives are worthless which gets Takeru really fired up. Takeru uses GOEMON and attacks more and more ferociously, each time Javert asks for more until Aran calls him off. Javert tells Takeru he hopes to be better entertained next time and he teleports to Kanon who he grabs and spirits away with himself.
-Takeru, Akari and Makoto run around, desperately searching for Kanon. Makoto receives a message from Javert by way of an Eyecon that floats over and projects some images and Ganma-text for him.
-Makoto feels he can’t save Kanon without Houdini’s power and dismisses Takeru’s advice to befriend the Eyecon. He proceeds to demand HOUDINI give him power and tries to activate the Eyecon several times, until HOUDINI’s Eyecon levitates from Makoto’s hand, binds him with chains and controls Spectre’s bike so that it attacks him while he is bound.
-Takeru and Akari happen upon the sight and Makoto tells Takeru several times not to help him because he has to do this on his own, so he can save Kanon and fight side by side with Takeru. Makoto out maneuvers and mounts the bike taking control of it.
-Makoto meets Javert and steps off his back and transforms, with HOUDINI’s spectral chains still upon him. They fight and Akari and Takeru show up to watch, as Takeru intends to keep his word to Makoto and let him fight for and save Kanon.
-Akari tells Takeru he is stupid and crazy. Makoto tells himself he will surpass his own limits. Takeru says he believes in Makoto, which causes the MUSASHI Eyecon to glow. Javert calls a Kundali and Takeru transforms with Boost. Javert intends to fill Makoto with hatred by killing Kanon to make him a more powerful opponent.
-The Kundali traps Spectre under a bunch of rubble and Boost is barely able to protect Akari and Onari from the Kundali’s blasts. Makoto pleads with HOUDINI for help and gets it. The HOUDINI Eyecon frees him from the rubble and summons his bike to thrash to Kundali while he transforms.
-The HOUDINI Eyecon’s Hoodie Ghost incorporates the bike, split in half onto itself, enabling Spectre to fly and do all sorts of tricks. Spectre engages the Kundali, binding it in chains so that Makoto can break through it and hit Javert who had been taken inside the Kundali with hi HOUDINI OMEGA DRIVE, once again, seemingly destroying Javert.
-Makoto and Takeru shake hands and thank each other for everything they have done for each other. Prince Aran watches from afar as Makoto and Kanon part ways with Akari and Takeru.
-Takeru holds up the MUSASHI Eyecon saying he still needs to talk to Musashi. It glows red and he is taken inside the Heroic Eyecon. Musahsi compliments Takeru for staying true to Makoto. Musashi advises Takeru to act with the same sincerity towards the other Eyecons but warns him that some won’t be as helpful.
-Onari admits he was goofing about being able to hear GOEMON. Akari Onari and Takeru share laughs over his jest.
-Sage speaks to Ryu saying Takeru has taken another step
-In the Ganma penthouse, Prince Aran holds a heretofore unseen Eyecon that says NECROM on it.
NEXT| 16 Perfection! The White Rider!
Thanks JuuoShark and SwirrlyJiffy for sharing your thoughts with us!
Our awesome intro/outro music is by our very own Sono! Her rocking just won’t stop.