Join us as we take a critical eye to Kamen Rider Ghost. Will Takeru save himself and the Kamen Rider franchise in the  days he has left on this blue planet? Find out how we think he’s doing as we pass judgement on:
Ghost 11 Magnificent! The Divine Eye!
Save As… to Download Episode Length 01:03:45
NOTE: Due to US Holiday scheduling conflicts you can expect RX!127 covering Ghost 12 next Monday January 4, 2016. We won’t be soliciting feedback either because the time crunch, but we welcome you comments and questions as always. Until then, be safe everyone.
What, if anything, is being said about the world and our place in it in this episode? Ghost deals with the idea of Icons and Great Men, in a way that makes focusing narrowly on obtaining tangible objects relating to them important, but what makes a person great? What does that mean?
Let’s turn a discerning eye to what could be the Macro Message hidden in this episode of Ghost!
Ghost 11’s Macro Message According to Ammit:
I don’t really think I can glean a direct message from this episode, but I think the marked shift in Makoto’s attitude after Takeru saved Kanon serves as clear demonstration that sometimes people need to have their needs met in order to fully function as a person. Fear, distress and trauma can and twist a heart into something rigid, jagged and impenetrable, and that can be undone by love and kindness.
Ghost 11’s Macro Message According to Sono:
I’m not sure if I can put a real macro thing into this episode because it was very much a climax to the events thus far. But I think there is a good quiet underlayer of not giving up hope, even when things seem hopeless. I think bits of it could have been executed a little better, but both Takeru, and to a greater extent Makoto, lost hold of what they needed to reach their goal, but in the end they came through.
I think there’s also a nice bit of “it’s okay to rely on others” for Makoto in his reconciling with Takeru, which is a favorite fall-back message of mine.
Ghost 11’s Macro Message According to Cannibal Sarracenian:
Nothing to add now.
The unKamenCrew’s Top 3 (Maximum) Woments from Ghost 11
- Saionji’s NOT-Death. IF he is dead, it rocks that he went out like a punk because of his arrogance. I doubt he is dead and I’m prognosticating that he will come back later in the show and it will be spectacular.
- The clip scene inside the mandala/Divine Eye was BEAUTIFUL. I’m floored by the craft-work to put those things in previous episodes and re-presenting them here. This episode is the culmination of everything that came before it and nothing has been wasted!
- Takeru is so noble and heroic in giving up his sure bet for Kanon’s sake.
- Everything about Makoto in this episode. All of the guilt came crashing down on him, even the guilt he’s clearly been bottling up over fighting with Takeru. I’m hugely weak for both the hopeless regaining hope and siblings so Makoto finding Kanon with everyone and that whole scene of them being reunited and them walking away together at the end just tore me open. I would have liked to see more of Kanon being a badass as an eyecon, but whatever this is fine. This show is playing right into everything I want.
- AKARI. Akari has spent this whole episode with an untreated sprained ankle and she’s STILL GETTING SHIT DONE. Finding eyecons, taking care of Kanon, worrying about Takeru, running all over… Akari cannot be stopped.
- Also Akari gave Kanon her coat. Kanon leaves with Akari’s coat. I don’t know why I’m excited about this I just want more of them together.
- Yay yay yay wow things happening. More breadcrumbs and intrigue that bring in so many interesting story implications and in a way that doesn’t bluntly spell it out that there is intrigue and feel frustrating like other Neo-Heisei shows tend to have.
- Really digged the first half. Makoto really got to deliver a lot of good emotional scenes all done really well. Some people have said the reconciliation of Takeru and Makoto felt too quick, but I thought with the characters as presented it felt just “right” as Makoto despite how his extreme dedication hasn’t really went off the deep end enough for this to come across as too radical, plus they did give time enough for akoto to realize his mistakes and not to mention the actor did a fine job with these scenes. Really heartfelt.
- The fight between Ghost and Spectre vs. JAVERT was great. Again to play my grump bit, I’m still not totally into the form changing in general, but it was decent form-changing fight.
In keeping with Ms. Akari’s love of the empirical, the following contains observable information from the events of the day Akari received a set of injuries and Takeru and Onari set up the Daitenkuu temple as a headquarters for staging paranormal investigations.
11 Magnificent! The Divine Eye!
Writer: Fukuda Takurou
Diector: Morota Satoshi
Action Diector: Miyazaki Takeshi
Ganma: Javert and the Kundali!
New Heroic Eyecon Summoned: None
Miscellaneous: Takeru meets Kami-Sama
-22 days left
-Takeru wonders at the barrier. Yurusen gets uncannily burnt when trying to pass though it. Makoto throws a temper tantrum and Javert steels his resolve to stop Saionji.
-Saionji places the 15 Heroic Eyecons on one of his pieces of Ganma Eye symbol stationary and puts a drop of blue liquid from a dropper like he has done before. The 15 Heroic Eyecons float in a circle in front of the Monolith and Saionji asks for the power to rule over everything.
-Sage enters the room and sees Saionji particlized and sucked in to the Monolith.
-Akari awakens and struggles to get up because her ankle became injued in the aftermath of the forcefield’s shockwave, but makes her way outside.
-Sage exposits that only someone with a belt can use the 15 Eyecons for a wish. A golden mandala studded with symbols/writing repesenting the Eyecons appears, phases though the lab and brakes the barrier.
-Seeing the barrier has vanished everyone heads for the temple. Takeru bumps into Akari, gets pulled up into the mandala and wishes for Kanon’s life from the child-like voice within the mandala.
-Prince Aran is miffed to see that Javert called forth Kundali from one of his successfully Ganma Eye Smbol festooned sites. The Kundali attack the mandala, but are unable to affect it and fall away.
-Takeru brings Kanon with him and there is a bitter-sweet reunion as his friends gather around and ask him why he saved Kanon instead of himself. Makoto comes along and gratefully calls Takeru naïve. Kanon thanks Takeru, but their peaceful moment is interrupted by the mandala ejecting the 15 Heroic Eyecons and vanishing.
-Akari and Takeru easily find BILLY THE KID and MUSASHI. Akari takes care of Kanon as Takeru, Makoto and the others spread out to gather the 15 Heroic Eyecons.
-Onari is frantically gathering with Heroic Eyecons with Shibuya and Narita, heedless of the Kundali flying around. Takeru warns him that it is coming close and they both dodge it many of the Heroic Eyecons falling loose. Javert picks up two and demands that Takeru hand over the rest
-Takeru refuses to give Javert the Eyecons and Makoto stands at his side to help him. Javert transforms, saying he will educate the whelps. Makoto asks Takeru if he is ready. Takeru affirms his belief in himself and Makoto says he believes in him too and they transform together to take on Javert.
-Ghost and Spectre have an awesome fight with Javert with help from their monastic comrades who toss them Heroic Eyecons throughout the fight, enabling them to change tactics against Javert. We get a double Rider Kick Omega Drive, but it is intercepted by a Kundali which explodes instead of Javert.
-Prince Aran tells Javert to fall back. He hesitates, but remembers his place and complies leaving the Riders to deal with the Kundali. Yurusen calls the Ghostriker and somehow Makoto gets his bike too. They ride around drawing fire from the Kundali until Takeru call s for Captain Ghost.
-Takeru gets thrown from Captain Ghost who is attached to a Kundali’s face, gnawing at it I am sure. Makoto rides up the back of a Kundali and defeats it with an Omega Fang. Captain Ghost defeats its Kundali with a blast from its tail.
– MUSASHI’s Eyecon comes out of Takeru’s belt and it calls to him, telling him to strike. Takeru asks if MUSASHI will lend him its strength. Six Hoodie Ghosts join MUSASHI and Takeru leaps backwards into all seven and his Self Soul Hoodie and kick the third Kundali blowing it up!
-Takeru and Makoto celebrate the victory with a seemingly familiar exchange of gestures and Onari brings the GOEMON Heroic Eyecon and is utterly relieved when he realizes the fight is over.
-Prince Aran asks Javert why he acted on his own and asks him directly if he knows something about the Eyecons. Javert lies by saying, no. Aran sees through the lie and tells Javert there is a price to pay for wasting the Kundali. Javert asks forgiveness and leaves.
-Aran marvels at the Eyecons’ power.
-Back at Daitenkuu, Makoto thanks Takeru for saving Kanon and they leave with Akari’s coat. Takeru remarks that Makot looks so happy and that it all turned out well. Akari agrees with some reservation as she worries for Takeru.
NEXT| 12 Glorious! A Man’s Resolve
Thanks Jason for sharing your thoughts with us!
Our awesome intro/outro song is She-Wolf from the album, Where’s Satan? by Valery and the Greedies.